RSS News Feeds:
Breaking news direct from the publishers.
Daily News :
I’m a news junkie. These are my three favorite places to get my news.
- Google News – The largest news aggregator site on the internet.
- The Drudge Report – The #1 most visited news site on the internet. Over 8,000,000 visitors daily.
- Twitter – I have all of my news feeds in my “NewsMakers” list.
I follow politics very closely, but I’m a hardcore political atheist. These are the political news sites that I like best.
- Michelle Malkin – I read Michelle daily. Her political insight is usually right on the money.
- GodfatherPolitics – It’s not personal. It’s politics.
- PolitiFact.com – Fact-checking US politics.
- FactCheck.org – 15 years of holding politicians accountable.
- Politico.com – A reliable and accurate political news resource.
- RealClearPolitics.com – Accurate political news and fact-checking.
A page or two of my own:
Yep, I made these . . .
- Thought Sketches – This is what I call my blog. Had to give it a cool name.
- Links Page – Every website has to have the obligatory links page. This is mine.
Favorite Blogs :
I visit these daily without fail. 😹
- Whatever – The personal blog of science fiction author John Scalzi
- The Bloggess – Just like Mother Theresa only better!
- Hugh Fox III – The ultimate pop culture blog!
- Bad Cat Chris – I’m hooked on this one.
- Life With Cats – I have a few cat blogs. This is my all-time favorite.
- The Opinionated Pussycat – Another fun cat blog.
Favorite Photoblogs :
I visit these blogs daily.
- Houser Design – Great Inspiration
- Planet Neil – Photography tutorials, reviews, and workshops.
- Daily Walks – Beautiful Art Photography by Diane Varner
- Exposed Planet – Wonderful Mountain photos
- Ken Kaminesky – Incredible travel photography!
- Ralph Clevenger – Seriously inspirational photos
- Chris Orwig
- Jack Brauer Mountain Photography – Beautiful Mountain Photos
- Brian Cormack
Other photoblogs I follow :
I check these a couple of times a week.
- Alejandra Reyes
- Alyssaa — The photos here speak for themselves. Gorgeous!
- Chase Jarvis
- Harry Kikstra
- J. Wesley Brown
- Katya Jackson
Online Photography Courses :
Great photography courses that I can’t recommend highly enough.
- New York Institute of Photography – I was 18 years old when I took this course for the first time back in 1980. With everything that was happening in my life, I lost interest in photography. In 2015, I bought my first real quality digital camera which revived my interest. I took the updated course as a refresher in 2015. I highly recommend this course.
- Udemy – This site has hundreds of top-notch photography elearning courses. I’ve purchased quite a few. They are very reasonably priced. Grab as many of them as you can.
Photography Help :
These are sites that I’ve found the most helpful.
- DPreview.com – Most authoritative coverage of digital photography gear in the world.
- Digital Photography School – Daily photography tips, resources and free tutorials.
- Boost Your Photography – A resource for beginning and hobbyist photographers.
- 500px – The Community for Passionate Photographers
Here are links to a few useful articles on getting started in photoblogging :
In photoblogging, failing to plan really is planning to fail. I wasted a lot of time getting started because I didn’t have a plan or any of this information. These were the articles that got me straightened out and set me on the right path.
- How to Start a Photography Blog – A photography blog can be a great way to show off your favorite photos as well as providing explanatory content for people following your blog.
- How to Start A Photoblog: 7 Critical Things to Consider Before You Begin – These are basic, but they’re critical to your photoblog success.
- Photoblogging: How to Start a Photo Blog – To me blogging was for vain or bored people and I was certainly neither. Then a little over a year ago I heard the term photoblog and I was suddenly interested in blogging again.
- Tips to Help You Start a Successful Photo Blog – Why do you want to start a photoblog? If you’re going to be successful, you need to know.
- The Beginner’s Guide to Creating a Photoblog: Part 1 – This is a little more technical, but it’s good stuff to know.
How not to get taken buying a used digital camera :
- How to Buy Used DSLR Cameras – Just like with lenses, we don’t always need or can afford the latest and greatest.
- What You Need to Know When Buying a Used DSLR – Buying a used DSLR allows you to get a lot of bang for your buck – but there is a lot to consider before deciding to drop down your hard earned cash.
- How to Buy a Used Digital Camera – If you are starting on a tight budget, buying a used digital camera is an excelent option. Here’s what you should know before putting down your hard earned cash.
- Buying a second-hand camera? Read our tips first – From shutter count to sensor and accessories, here are the things you should consider when looking for a bargain camera.
Smartphone Photography :
- It’s time we took smartphone photography seriously – Nokia knew it. Apple knows it. Samsung knows it. Photography is the most important part of your smartphone. And, damn it, those cameras are getting good. Really good.
- Smartphone Photography 101 – This guide is dedicated to helping you with the nitty gritty of smartphone photography – how to take a great shot on your phone, what editing apps to use, how to share and print your images and keep them safe.
- The Complete Guide To Smartphone Photography: 96 Tips – Your best camera is the one that is always with you. For most of us, and when it comes to smartphone photography, that means our smartphone.
- 8 Ways to Use Your Smartphone for Photography – What’s the most useful camera gear you carry with you? This is the most common question asked of photographers. Many will say a tripod or perhaps a lens, but how many people would have answered a Smartphone? These are tips for taking smartphone photography to the next level.
- Brilliant smartphone photography tips and tricks – Brilliant smartphone photography tips and tricks.
- Smartphone photography tips: 16 handy tricks you should know – Great tips and trick for getting started in smartphone photography.
- 10 Simple Tricks to Boost Your Smartphone Photography – More tricks to taking great smartphone photos.
Getting the most out of Twitter :
I love Twitter. It is my favorite social media network. Of course, I’ve had my Twitter account since June of 2010, and it took me all this time to learn that I was doing it all wrong. Here are a few articles that I found helpful with learning to use Twitter the right way.
- How To Use Twitter: Critical Tips For New Users – So you wanna tweet? Great—you’re gonna (mostly) love it. Everyone from the President to Malala is tweeting it up these days, but it may take some getting used to if you’re a new kid on the block.
- How to Use Twitter – This wikiHow teaches you how to get started with Twitter, which includes creating an account and learning how to tweet.
- How to use Twitter like a social media boss – What started as a small project for the employees of the small podcasting company Odeo has taken the world by storm, gaining more than 300 million users since its inception in early 2006. The popular social networking website and micro-blogging service allows users to post their latest updates in a quick, burst-like fashion of 140 characters or less and it has become the arena for worldwide conversations.
- 10 Things to Do When Getting Started on Twitter – Follow this step-by-step guide to get started. Here’s a list of the first 10 things you should do to get started on Twitter.
- Learn How to Use Twitter in 15 Minutes or Less – This how-to Twitter tutorial is designed to get you up and running on Twitter in 15 minutes or less. You’ll learn the basics of how to use Twitter by setting up your Twitter profile, sending your first tweet, and deciding how you want to use Twitter.